Dear Fossil Families,
We have received some questions from our families about our upcoming trip to Arizona.
Poudre School District staff are closely monitoring the global outbreak of COVID-19, a new coronavirus strain. They are following recommendations from local, state and national health officials as PSD responds.
As of March 2, the district had not made an overarching decision regarding scheduled Colorado, out-of-state and international field trips. This situation is evolving daily, and things could change quickly. The following are factors to consider:
- As always, our primary concern is for the safety and wellbeing of our students.
- Our parents/guardians always have the right to decide whether to send their child on a field trip. As more cases of COVID-19 are reported we understand that families may choose to opt-out of a trip; we ask that they notify the trip’s coordinator as soon as possible if they do so.
- At this time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has activated several travel warnings for international destinations experiencing community spread of COVID-19. Please visit the CDC website for all global travel advisories.
- The Department of Homeland Security and CDC have issued orders directing all flights from China and all passengers who have traveled to China within the last 14 days to be routed through several U.S. airports for enhanced health screenings. Denver International Airport is not one of those airports. Visit the Department of Homeland’s Security Webpage for more info.
- PSD has no control over quarantines, travel restrictions or screening procedures that other municipalities, states or countries may have in effect at the time of a field trip. This is an evolving situation, and certain measures implemented in the area(s) of our field trip could impact our schedule or ability to return to Colorado.
- The district cannot issue refunds for field trips in the event they are canceled due to safety concerns or if a parent/guardian decides to opt their student out of the trip due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- As always, we ask that parents/guardians keep their student home, including from field trips and school, if they are sick. For additional information, please refer to the attached PDFs, Too sick for the trip” and the CDC’s COVID-19 fact sheet.
- For additional information about field trips, please refer to PSD policies IJOA and IJOA-R.
We understand that this may feel frustrating and unpredictable. Know we are actively working on this and will continue to communicate as information is available.
Julie Chaplain, PhD